First, this is wonderful news...any time any one of you receives recognition for your work, please take a beat to pat yourself on the back. In one of the most competitive fields in the world, when others appreciate your creativity and talent, this is an accomplishment you need to acknowledge. Your hard work and unique skills are paying off and this is a positive sign of additional opportunities to come. Congratulations!
In choosing an agent or manager, my advice is the following:
A) Be polite and express your enthusiasm about their interest in you, but don't be afraid to ask questions and do some due diligence.
B) Look them up on IMDBpro.com and see what other clients they represent. If they have any big hitters, that gives them easier entrée to network executives and production companies which means they have more leverage to get buyers to actually read your work.
C) Ask them if they could spell out their game plan for you and your career. Ask these additional questions:
- Who do they plan to send your material to?
- Who would they like to get you meetings with?
- Where do they feel they're the strongest, i.e. comedy, drama, cable, prime time, day time, animated, children's programming, etc. and are their strengths in these areas a match with yours?
- Where do they see your career going? Features or Television? Starting out on half-hour comedies, one-hour dramas and eventually becoming a show runner?
- Do they want to team you up with any show runners?
- Do they want you to write more spec shows, original material and so on.
Finding the right agent or manager is like dating...see if you're on the same page.
I hope the above is helpful. If I can offer further advice to you or someone you know, please check out my website and let me know how I can help!
Cheers to a happy holiday and all best wishes for a fantastic and prosperous 2011 -- with lots of "Go" projects!
Wendy Kram, Producer/Owner
WK Productions & L.A. FOR HIRE, Inc.
Creative Screenwriting Magazine Top 3 Picks for "Best Script Consultants" 2010
firstname.lastname@example.org * 310-994-3258 * www.la4hire.com